International Voltage

Will my microwave oven that was manufactured in the United States work when I move in to Spain? Or will my laptop and camcorder still be useful when I travel to Europe and Asia? These are the common questions that may arise if you would be moving in from one country to another. Of course, you need to take into consideration if it would still be wise to bring along your appliances rather than buying a new one. You need to know the electrical voltage that is being used in each country that you visit.

Electrical Requirements In

Select A Country

To Use the Voltage Table:
Select a country that you need the voltage requirement.
Click the "Look Up!" button.
The USA standard and international voltage used
will come back on the screen in red numbers above the table.

Before you begin your travels, make sure that you protect your electrical appliances (hair dryer, curlers, shavers and most importantly - your laptop computer).
  • References to 110V apply to the range from 100V to 160V.
  • References to 220V apply to the range from 200V to 260V.
  • Where 110/220V is indicated, international voltage
    varies within the country.

A special adaptor will probably be necessary for electronics,
such as computers or hand-held devices.
Do not plug straight into a outlet without
checking the manufacturer's instructions.

*Denotes countries in which plugs with 3 square pins are used.
Y Denotes countries using DC current in certain areas.

Country Voltage

Each country definitely uses different voltage. And aside from knowing the voltage type of a specific country, you also need to pay more attention to the type of outlet and plugs that are being used in that place. There are many sites that provide the table for the international voltage being used around the world. Here is a short list of the country voltage.
  • Afghanistan - 220 V
  • Australia - 240 V
  • Bahamas - 120 V
  • Brazil - 120/220 V
  • Canada - 120 V
  • China - 220 V
  • Finland - 230 V
  • Guam - 110 V
  • Japan - 100 V
  • Mexico - 127 V
  • Spain - 230 V
  • United Kingdom - 230 V
  • United States - 120 V
  • Vietnam - 127/220 V

There is slight difference in voltage in each country due to the many factors like demand. At this time there are countries that were using 220 V that are converting to the 230 V, which is the EU Standard. The reason is that most electronic appliances are able to tolerate current, which is slightly higher, or lower the rated voltage. But you need to remember that a big difference with the current will definitely damage your appliances.

International Voltage Converter

Sometimes, you would want to think that it would just be a matter of matching the socket and the plug to make the appliances work. But that is not always the case when talking about electronic equipment. You might need an international converter. These are used to convert or change the voltage from a certain amount to another. Each appliance would require a different type of converter. For instance small electronic appliance that are not used for heating would do good with a 50-watt converter. While those heating equipments and other appliances that needs high power can use a 1,600- watt converter. There are those converters that are available for both small and heating electronics.

Usually, these converters are available in travel and luggage shops, electronic stores or even in airport and duty free shops.

International Voltage Adapter

A plug adapter will come handy if the voltage of the country is the same as your appliance and that you might be using universal power supply. An international voltage adapter will enable you to plug the device which is actually customized for a certain type of an outlet. This will allow you to use whatever electronic gadget you have in other countries even if the outlet and plugs are not the same.

Usually, if your appliance has this label on them: INPUT: AC 100V-240V~1.0A 50/60 Hz, then all you need is a plug adapter and you can use these appliances wherever you are in the world.

So if you will be traveling and will bring appliances with you, it is a must to get yourself a plug adapter and converter and know the voltage of the specific country that you are visiting. You would not want to ruin your travel by plugging in an appliance with the different voltage, would you?